Prep time: 20 minutes — Cook time: 60 minutes — Total time: 80 minutes — Serving: 2 people
The best recipe for homemade million beef served with creamy mashed potatoes. This Danish recipe (in Denmark called “Millionbøf”) is.a savory meat sauce with potatoes. It is an easy, delicious, and cheap dinner.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 white/yellow onion
12.35 oz (350 g) ground beef
0.5 chicken bouillon cube
7.05 oz (200 g) chopped tomatoes, canned
1.5 bay leaves
0.5 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon currant jelly
0.5 teaspoon brown food coloring
14.11 oz (400 g) potatoes
3.53 oz (100 g) carrots
0.53 oz (15 g) butter
0.34 cups (0.8 dl) milk
Pickled beets for garnish (optional)
- Grab your favorite KUMA knife and cut onion into small dice. Start heating up a pot of water for the potatoes and carrots.
- Peel potatoes and carrots and then cut them into smaller pieces.
- Add them to boiling water and cook until they are tender.
- Heat up another pot with some oil and sauté onions on medium heat until soft.
- Add the ground beef to sauté with the onions.
- Crumble in the bouillon cube and add chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika, and bay leaves and let it simmer for 5 minutes while stirring (medium heat).
- Now add currant jelly and brown food coloring.
- When potatoes and carrots are tender, drain water and move them over into a bowl.
- Add butter, milk, and salt. Use a hand mixer to beat it to a fluffy mash.
- Serve immediately. We like to top with pickled beets for garnish and extra flavor.
Recipe for million beef with fluffy mashed potatoes
The best recipe for old fashioned Danish million beef with creamy mashed potatoes. Millionbøf is Danish food when it is best. This is one of the dishes we grew up with.
It was a true classic in our home as it is delicious, simple to make, and it is very budget-friendly. The savory meat sauce goes perfectly with the creamy, soft, and fluffy mashed potatoes.
Dinner on a budget
This is easy and affordable dinner when it is best - just how we like it! It is also a good recipe to make when you are out of inspiration or just want something simple.
Scandinavian dinner recipes
We love making our local, home-country recipes for dinner every once in a while. If you want to try more Danish recipes, try our recipe for Tarteletter (crispy puff pastry boats with delicious chicken sauce filling) or Frikadeller (juicy pork meatballs)!
Follow us on social media.
Make sure to follow our Instagram and Facebook for more delicious food inspiration and tips. Remember the right tools can make or break your time in the kitchen and we at KUMA live to deliver you the sharpest cooking experiences available with our knives. We would love to have you join our thriving community who all loves Cooking With KUMA.
Let us know how your meals turned out - tag @kumaknives on Instagram!