Prep time: 30 minutes — Cook time: 35 minutes — Total time: 65 minutes — Serving: 2 people
Easy recipe for a delicious Mexican lasagna with beans and cheddar cheese. This is delicious weekday dinner that we often make when dinner has to be simple. You can easily freeze down any leftovers, so this is a good recipe to consider making a double portion of.
1 yellow onion
1.5 garlic cloves
8.82 oz (250 g) minced beef
0.5 pack taco spice
1 tablespoon corn starch
14.11 oz (400 g) diced tomato, canned
1 tablespoon tomato purée
0.5 beef bouillon cube
0.63 cups (1.5 dl) water
5.3 oz (150 g) kidney beans, canned
4.41 oz (125 g) cheddar
6 x lasagna noodles
- Grab your favorite KUMA knife and slice onion and garlic into fine pieces.
- Heat up a big pot with butter or oil. Then add onion and garlic to sauté for a few minutes until it gets color.
- Add minced beef and let it get color.
- Add the pack of taco spice, corn starch, diced tomatoes, water, and crumble in the bouillon. Stir for a bit and then let it all simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat. Then add the drained kidney beans.
- Taste your meat sauce with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 390 F (200 C). Grease up a casserole with butter or oil. We used a 10.6 x 6 in (27 x 16 cm) casserole.
- First spread a layer of meat sauce in the bottom. Then add a layer of cheddar, and then add lasagna noodles.Proceed this way until you’re out of meat sauce. Top off with cheddar.
- Cover your casserole with a tin foil.
- First bake the lasagna for 30 minutes. Then remove the tin foil and bake it for another 5-7 minutes so it gets a beautiful surface.
- Remove the lasagna from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe for Mexican lasagna
Here you get a recipe for an easy and delicious Mexican lasagna with cheddar, beans, and delicious spices. It is a lovely weekday dinner that we like making when we have minced beef and dinner just has to be simple and quick to prepare.
For this recipe it is important to use a great quality cheddar cheese as it adds a lot of creaminess and depth to the lasagna. We always use a fresh cheddar from a whole block (as we do with any cheese) and never the pre-grated ones. The whole block is fresher, has more flavor and melts better.
The Easy Way
In this recipe we’ve chosen to go the easy way when it comes to spices. Therefore we simply add taco spice. They’re cheap, easy and packs a ton of flavor! This way you don’t need to add a bunch of individual spices. If you do prefer making your own Mexican spice mixture, though, you definitely can.
It is easy and simple - you just need to add cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, oregano, onion powder, and some sugar and mix it all together.
We love Mexican food and make it almost once a week. Often it’s tacos and burritos, or sometimes chili con carne. This Mexican lasagna is a great way to try a different meal with the taste of Mexico.
Follow us on social media.
Make sure to follow our Instagram and Facebook for more delicious food inspiration and tips. Remember the right tools can make or break your time in the kitchen and we at KUMA live to deliver you the sharpest cooking experiences available with our knives. We would love to have you join our thriving community who all loves Cooking With KUMA.
Let us know how your meals turned out - tag @kumaknives on Instagram!