Best Shepherds Pie with Scalloped Potatoes, Meat Sauce, and Cheese
Easy recipe for a creamy and delicious shepherds pie with beef filling, cheese, and a potato lid. An easy weekday dinner recipe with meat and scalloped potatoes.
0.5 white/yellow onion
1.5 garlic clove
7.05 oz (200 g) ground beef
1.23 oz (35 g) tomato purée
0.5 teaspoon dried thyme
0.5 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
7.05 oz (200 g) chopped tomatoes, canned
0.5 vegetale bouillon cube
5.29 oz (150 g) carrots
1.76 oz (50 g) peas without pod
Scalloped Potatoes Topping
12.35 oz (350 g) scalloped potatoes, pre-made
0.5 pack fresh mozzarella
0.3 bundle spring onion
- Chop onion and garlic into fine pieces with your favorite KUMA kitchen knife.
- Heat up a pot with some grease in it.
- Add onion and garlic to sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Add ground beef and stir occasionally. Let it cook until colored on all sides.
- Add tomato purée, thyme, oregano, paprika, chopped tomatoes, and break in the bouillon cube. Mix and stir well.
- Peel carrots and grate them. Add them into the sauce along with the frozen peas. Let the meat sauce simmer.
- Preheat oven to 390 F (200 C).
- Grease up an oven-safe casserole.
- Taste the meat sauce with salt and pepper. Then add it into the casserole.
- Divide the scalloped potatoes on top of the beef filling. Then break the mozzarella with your hand and sprinkle that over the potatoes.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
- Remove from oven when it’s done cooking and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Grab your KUMA Paring Knife and slice spring onion into fine, thin pieces to add on top of your Shepherds pie as garnish before serving.
Best recipe for shepherds pie with scalloped potatoes
Make the classic shepherds pie even better with scalloped potatoes using this recipe. Shepherds pie consists of a simple meat sauce or beef filling which is topped with a potato lid. Usually you make a lid of mashed potatoes but we wanted to change it up, and we actually think this change made the classic shepherds pie recipe even better. The creamy scalloped potatoes add a lot of flavor and texture which compliments the beef filling beautifully. If you want to make your own scalloped potatoes we do have the world's best creamy scalloped potatoes recipe right here!
Dinner recipe hacks
When you’re cooking after a busy day at work, it’s always good to have some tricks and hacks up your sleeve! We improved the classic shepherds pie with scalloped potatoes, but fear not - we have a great trick for easily achieving this! We have simply just bought pre-made scalloped potatoes to make this simple dish even easier. Just get a good brand that you like because scalloped potatoes really taste amazing in this dish, and you save a ton of time getting them store bought.
If you have a leftover meat sauce from a pasta or something, that is also a wonderful way to make sure it doesn’t go to waste while also making your cooking even easier!
Easy meat sauce with scalloped potatoes topping
This is just such delicious and easy weeknight dinner! You can also serve it as a fancy weekend dinner when you have guests over because it does have this special and fancy feel to it.
The meat filling is made in a pot and then added over into an empty casserole. After that you just add your scalloped potatoes, top with cheese, and it’s baking time. Easy peasy, shepherds pie completes me!
Can I add other vegetables?
Yes, certainly! We love meals like this because they are such a good opportunity of clearing out your vegetable drawer and sneaking in some greens. In the meat filling you can add things like mushrooms, bell pepers, beans, corn, zucchini, eggplant, or whatever you may want. Just go nuts with the veggies as they add a lot of flavor and texture to the dish, and they need to break up the extra saucy filling we’ve made.
Follow us on social media.
Make sure to follow our Instagram and Facebook for more delicious food inspiration and tips. Remember the right tools can make or break your time in the kitchen and we at KUMA live to deliver you the sharpest cooking experiences available with our knives. We would love to have you join our thriving community who all loves Cooking With KUMA.
Let us know how your meals turned out - tag @kumaknives on Instagram!