One-Pot Beef Stroganoff in Gravy with Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
Prep time: 15 minutes — Cook time: 30 minutes — Total time: 45 minutes — Serving: 2 people
Recipe for the classic and always delicious Beef Stroganoff with creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes. We LOVE saucy one-pot casseroles like this - especially on a cold and rainy day (but let’s be real, Stroganoff is always good). You can also serve it with rice or French fries instead of mashed potatoes if you wish.
2.2 lb (1000 g) potatoes
0.63 cups (1.5 dl) milk
1 teaspoon salt
0.53 oz (15 g) butter
2 tablespoons paprika
0.5 tablespoon butter
1 white/yellow onion
8.82 oz (250 g) mushrooms
3.53 oz (100 g) bacon dice
2.47 oz (70 g) tomato purée
1.06 cups (2.5 dl) cooking cream
14.11 oz (400 g) beef strips (or steak which you can cut into strips yourself)
- Peel potatoes either with your KUMA Paring Knife or a standard peeler. Cut them into smaller chunks so the boiling time is reduced.
- Put potatoes into a bowl and pour in enough water to fully cover them. Bring to a boil and then turn down to low-medium heat.
- Let them cook until tender. This takes around 20-25 minutes.
- Mix beef strips with paprika.
- Heat up a pot with some butter in it. Meanwhile, cut onion into fine dice with your KUMA Chef’s Knife.
- When pot is hot add onions and sauté until soft on medium heat.
- Meanwhile wash mushrooms and cut into slices.
- When onions are tender remove them into a bowl. Then sauté mushrooms on the pot.
- When mushrooms are sautéd, remove them and any excess liquid into the same bowl as the onions.
- Add some more grease to the pot.
- Cook bacon dice until crispy and then move them into the bowl with onion and mushrooms.
- Now add beef to the pot and cook it in the bacon grease. If more grease is needed add a bit of oil.
- When beef is cooked brown on the outside, add tomato purée to the pot to get some heat. Stir so it doesn’t burn, and after a minute or two, mix it with the beef.
- Add cream, onion, bacon, and mushrooms to the pot. Taste with salt and pepper. Then bring it to a quick boil before serving.
- When potatoes are done cooking, remove from heat and drain the water. Then add butter, milk and a bit of salt. Use a hand blender to blend it all into a smooth consistency. If it needs to be more fluffy, add a little more milk. Taste with salt in the end.
- Serve your beef stroganoff with creamy mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Recipe for beef stroganoff
Recipe for a delicious and simple beef stroganoff with a creamy homemade mashed potatoes. The dish consists of the smoothest cream sauce with tender strips of beef, lots of mushrooms, bacon and onion. You can serve it with mashed potatoes like we’ve done here or it also goes great with rice or French fries instead.
There is nothing better than a warm and hearty casserole when it’s cold and raining outside like it was recently when we made this for dinner. Light some candles and turn on some calm music while the casserole gently bubbles and simmers. Food for the soul!
Hearty one-pot casserole with beef
This is one of the best one-pot casseroles you can make with beef. It is super easy and only consists of a few ingredients. You can use beef that’s also cut into strips, diced beef, or you can buy a steak and slice it into strips or dice with your KUMA kitchen knife yourself. Serve it with a buttery and heavenly mashed potatoes and you are in food paradise! If you are not really into beef casserole dinners with mashed potatoes, we have also made a wonderful alternative version with chicken and fettuccine pasta instead.
Follow us on social media.
Make sure to follow our Instagram and Facebook for more delicious food inspiration and tips. Remember the right tools can make or break your time in the kitchen and we at KUMA live to deliver you the sharpest cooking experiences available with our knives. We would love to have you join our thriving community who all loves Cooking With KUMA.
Let us know how your meals turned out - tag @kumaknives on Instagram!