Crisp, fruity, and warm - this Apple Strudel recipe is a definite crowd-pleaser!
10 sheets filo pastry
4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp lemon juice
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
3 tbsp milk
1/4 cup icing sugar
1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Place 1 sheet of filo on your work surface and brush with melted butter. Put another sheet on top, and brush again with butter. Repeat until 5th sheet is used. Cover pastry with a damp kitchen towel and set aside. Repeat procedure for the remaining filo sheets.
3. Combine apples, raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon. Add lemon juice, grated rind, and sugar.
4. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over first filo stack, then spread with fruit mixture. Place the second filo stack on top of filling. Roll into a log and place on greased baking sheet. Brush top with milk.
5. Bake the strudel for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.