Prep time: 10 minutes — Cook time: 10 minutes — Total time: 20 minutes — Serving: 2 people
Recipe for Danish Smørrebrød (Smorrebrod, the open-faced sandwich that’s popular in Denmark) with crispy fried cod roe on rye bread topped with homemade dill mayo and pickled onions. Quick, cheap, and delicious food that works both for lunch as well as dinner.
0.42 cups (1 dl) vegetable oil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
0.5 teaspoon sweet mustard
0.3 bundle fresh dill
1 can cod roe
0.7 oz (20 g) panko bread crumbs
4 slices of rye bread
0.5 bundle fresh asparagus
1.76 oz (50 g) picked red onions
1.06 oz (30 g) mixed lettuce
- Start by making the dill mayo. Put all ingredients except for dill into a bowl or if you have it, the tall glas that often comes with a hand blender.
- Blend the contents thoroughly so it thickens and changes color.
- When you have a thick consistency, taste with salt and pepper, and possibly some more sweet mustard if you wish.
- Grab your KUMA Santoku or Chef's Knife and chop dill finely before mixing it into the mayo.
- Wash your asparagus and break the ends off. Place the asparagus in a pot with water. Bring to a boil, and as soon as the water starts boiling, remove the pot from the heat. This will help ensure your asparagus will still have a little bit of a bite. Pour off the water and wash them in cold water when they’re done.
- Beat egg into one bowl and add panko bread crumbs into another bowl.
- Cut the cod roe into thin slices.
- Cover each slice in the beaten egg and then in the panko. Do this with each cod roe slice.
- Preheat a pan with a generous amount of butter or oil.
- Fry the cod roe slices for about 2 minutes per side or until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread rye bread slices with a thin layer or butter if you have some (if you don’t you’ll be just fine). Then add cleaned lettuce followed by fried cod roe. Add a scoop of dill mayo on top and garnish with steamed asparagus, pickled red onions and some fresh dill.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe for Smørrebrød (smorrebrod, the open faced sandwich) on rye bread with breaded cod roe
Here you get the recipe for rye bread with breaded and fried cod roe top with homemade dill mayo, pickled red onions and steamed asparagus. This is such a luxurious piece of smørrebrød. We have eaten this one many times. It is simple, easy, budget-friendly, and delicious. We love cod roe as it comes in the can but breading it in panko before frying it takes it to another level. Furthermore we’ve made a dill mayo and we top it with pickled red onions and asparagus. It’s so good!
If you’re out of ideas for how to make fish for lunch/dinner or if you want a more affordable way to get fish, cod roe is the way to go.
Follow us on social media.
Make sure to follow our Instagram and Facebook for more delicious food inspiration and tips. Remember the right tools can make or break your time in the kitchen and we at KUMA live to deliver you the sharpest cooking experiences available with our knives. We would love to have you join our thriving community who all loves #CookingWithKUMA.
Let us know how your meals turned out - tag @kumaknives on Instagram and Facebook!