Prep time: 90 minutes — Cook time: 15 minutes — Total time: 105 minutes — Serving: 2 people
An easy and delicious recipe for a homemade Italian calzone. This recipe has ham and mushrooms but you can use whatever filling you prefer. This is yummy, flavorful and easy dinner.
Cold fermented dough
7.58 oz (215 g) water
0.18 oz (5 g) yeast
0.3 oz (8 g) salt
11.11 oz (315 g) flour
7.05 oz (200 g) ham strips
2 x fresh mozzarella
10.58 oz (300 g) pizza sauce
1.76 oz (50 g) mushrooms
- This is a recipe that requires a bit of patience but it’s not a lot of work. The dough has to rest in the fridge for at least 15 hours ahead (if you want to make it even earlier it can easily rest in the fridge for 2-3 days)
- Start by mixing the yeast into water.
- Add 3.53 oz (100 g) flour and mix to incorporate. Add salt and then add the remaining flour little by little while mixing. The dough should not be wet and you should be able to form it into a ball. Stir and mix thoroughly.
- Cover your bowl with plastic saran wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 15 hours.
- After 15 hours or more, take the dough out of the fridge 2 hours before you need it. Take the dough out of the bowl and kneed it lightly. Then split it into 2 balls. Sprinkle them with flour. Cover them with a towel and leave them on the kitchen counter for 2 hours to rise.
- Turn on your oven at 530 F (275 C) or as high as your oven will go. Put a baking tray in the oven so it will get super hot.
- Roll out your 2 doughs into circles and place them each on their own baking sheet. Across half of each pizza dough, spread out pizza sauce, ham, mushrooms and cheese. Pull the other half of the dough over the half you just covered with ingredients so that the pizza will form a half circle. Use a fork to press down all the way across the opening in order to lock the calzone.
- Remove the hot baking tray from the oven and drag a baking sheet with calzone onto the tray. Careful not to burn your hands! Only bake one calzone at a time unless you can fit two calzones on one baking tray.
- Bake your calzone for 8-10 minutes depending on your oven. When passing the 8 minute mark keep watch to make sure it doesn’t get too dark.
- Remove from oven and let it rest on an oven grid for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe for easy and delicious calzone with ham and mushroom
Make your own delicious Italian Calzone with ham and mushroom by using this recipe. Have you had calzone before? It’s that delicious Italian pizza style where the filling is inside the pizza. It’s actually super easy to make and makes for a great dinner. We make it both on weekdays and during weekends. It’s just that good!
We have a hugh love for Italian food and calzone is really one of our favorite Italian dishes. You can add your favorite filling to make any calzone you’d like. Zucchini and ham or even spaghetti spaghetti bolognese is amazing in a calzone.
Calzone style pizza with ham
This style of pizza should not be underestimated. And it’s actually not that difficult at all to make it yourself! It’s a great alternative to traditional pizza as it’s a familiar taste yet it’s just different. It’s fun to eat and it’s also more portable than a traditional pizza.
Can I use another pizza dough than the cold fermented dough?
Yes, you can certainly use a normal pizza dough. We just love the cold fermented pizza dough as we think it makes the by far best pizzas and calzones. It’s super easy to whip up and it can easily rest in the fridge for 2-3 days, so while it may seem like a pain that you have to prepare it the day before you need it, it’s just a matter of planning - then it’s actually really simple and easy.
Follow us on social media.
Make sure to follow our Instagram and Facebook for more delicious food inspiration and tips. Remember the right tools can make or break your time in the kitchen and we at KUMA live to deliver you the sharpest cooking experiences available with our knives. We would love to have you join our thriving community who all loves Cooking With KUMA.
Let us know how your meals turned out - tag @kumaknives on Instagram!